User Role Editor WordPress plugin allows you to change user roles and capabilities easy.
Just turn on check boxes of capabilities you wish to add to the selected role and click “Update” button to save your changes. That’s done.
Add new roles and customise its capabilities according to your needs, from scratch or as a copy of other existing roles.
An unnecessary self-made role can be deleted if there are no users whom such role is assigned.
The role assigned to every newly created user by default may be changed too.
Capabilities could be assigned on per user basis. Multiple roles could be assigned to a user simultaneously.
You can add new capabilities and remove unnecessary capabilities which could be left from uninstalled plugins.
Multi-site support is provided.
Try it out on your free TasteWP test site.
- Block selected admin menu items for role.
- Hide selected front end menu items for no logged-in visitors, logged-in users, roles.
- Block selected widgets under “Appearance” menu for role.
- Show widgets at front end for selected roles.
- Block selected meta boxes (dashboard, posts, pages, custom post types) for role.
- “Export/Import” module. You can export user role to the local file and import it to any WordPress site or other sites of the multi-site WordPress network.
- Roles and Users permissions management via Network Admin for multisite configuration. One click Synchronisation to the whole network.
- “Other roles access” module allows to define which other roles user with current role may see at WordPress: dropdown menus, e.g assign role to user editing user profile, etc.
- Manage user access to editing posts/pages/custom post type using posts/pages, authors, taxonomies ID list.
- Per plugin users access management for plugins activate/deactivate operations.
- Per form users access management for Gravity Forms plugin.
- Shortcode to show enclosed content to the users with selected roles only.
- Posts and pages view restrictions for selected roles.
- Admin back end pages permissions viewer
Pro version is advertisement-free. Premium support is included.
You can find more information about “User Role Editor” plugin at this page
I am ready to answer on your questions about plugin usage. Use plugin page comments for that.
- Deactivate plugin if you have the previous version installed.
- Extract “user-role-editor.zip” archive content to the “/wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor” directory.
- Activate “User Role Editor” plugin via ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress admin menu.
- Go to the “Users”-“User Role Editor” menu item and change your WordPress standard roles capabilities according to your needs.
- Does it work with WordPress in a multi-site environment?
Yes, it works with WordPress multi-site. By default, the plugin works for every blog from your multi-site network as for locally installed blog.
To update selected role globally for the Network you should turn on the “Apply to All Sites” checkbox. You should have superadmin privileges to use User Role Editor under WordPress multi-site.
Pro version allows managing roles of the whole network from the Network Admin.
Contributors & Developers
“User Role Editor” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Marked as compatible with WordPress version 6.0.2
- Fix: PHP Warning: Attempt to read property “ID” on null in /wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor/includes/classes/user-role-editor.php on line 369
- Fix: Deprecated: Automatic conversion of false to array is deprecated in ./includes/classes/base-lib.php on line 212
- Update: Marked as compatible with WordPress 6.0.1
- Update: Few notices (e.g. “Constant FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING is deprecated”) was fixed for better compatibility with PHP 8.1.
- Update: URE does not try to deactivate itself in case another instance is active, just shows notice and stops execution.
- Update: Marked as compatible with WordPress 6.0
- New: It’s possible to translate custom role names using PolyLang plugin.
- Update: URE does not sort roles in WordPress dropdown lists. In order to sort roles by name return ‘name’ from ‘ure_sort_wp_roles_list’ filter.
- Update: User capabilities view page minor CSS enhancements.
- Update: Settings->About: “Donate” link was removed.
File changelog.txt contains the full list of changes.