This plugin copies bookmarks from pinboard.in into a custom post type and the Pinboard tags into a custom taxonomy.
Note: This is not an official Pinboard plugin. If you have any problems please direct them to the WordPress support forums for this plugin.
- runs automatically using either wp-cron or manually using wp-cli
- uses the official Pinboard API (you will need your API key)
- obeys the API’s rate limits
- allows you to choose an author for synced pins
- updates pins in pinboard that have been updated (I think!) but will not remove pins that have been deleted
- provides a Gutenberg/block editor block for display a list of pins created between two specified dates
Note that this plugin does a one-way sync from Pinboard to your WordPress install. You can add your own bookmarks in WordPress but they will not be added to Pinboard.
Once you have installed the plugin you will need to go to Settings -> Pinboard Sync and enter your API key
(you can get this from your Pinboard password settings screen)
If you want to do automatic sync then you can then also turn on the Auto-sync option.
If you have a lot of pins in Pinboard then it is not recommended that you turn on auto-sync right away as this will probably time out or do bad things.
If you are able then the recommended method for doing a large initial import is to use the bundled wp-cli command:
If you can use WP-CLI then you can make use of the
wp-cli sync-pinboard command to
do an import from Pinboard. This works particularly well for large first-time imports before you enable the automatic sync. But you could also use the system cron to run this command instead of WP cron.
Wish list / Roadmap
Things I have in mind for future development:
- A shortcode for outputting lists of pins
- Ability to only import a specified tag
- (DONE) A Gutenberg block for displaying pins
- Option in wp-cli command to allow re-import of all pins
- Better front-end validation in admin screens and meta boxes
- Better error logging, and logging in general, including WP-CLI-specific output
- Better intial automated sync (over multiple cron runs)
This plugin provides 1 block.
Once you have installed and activated the plugin, follow the instructions in the description.
Contributors & Developers
“Sync Pinboard” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Sync Pinboard” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Remove console debug logging
- Add Gutenberg/block editor block for displaying pins
- Prevent the pins from appearing in WordPress search by default
- Allow post type options to be filtered so that you can add searching back in
- Fix ridiculous fatal error from initial commit – my mistake!
- Renamed from pinboard-sync to sync-pinboard to comply with plugin repo trademark rules
- Added WP-CLI command for sync
- Use the correct timezone when creating pins
- Add notices about support
- Improve validation of settings inputs
- Fix error in initial sync (this was failing safely – the sync just wasn’t working)
- Start adding some improved logging
- Fix some warnings that were showing on sync
- Initial version for release