Sometimes when you divide up your WordPress content into categories it all ends up in sub-categories of one or two main categories that don’t have any content themselves.
With the widget you can add a list of sub-categories even if the parent doesn’t have posts.
You can display and filter sub-categories in various ways:
- Use the parent category as the widget title
- Show post counts in bracket next to the name
- Hide empty sub-categories
- Add a link to the parent category to the widget title
- Show the full sub-category tree so it include sub-sub categories and so on as well
- Display the list as dropdown rather than as links
- Use the first category of the current post as the parent
- Exclude one or more sub-categories from the list
- List the categories in reverse order
Installing is pretty easy and takes only a minute or two:
Upload ‘sub-category-widget’ directory to your ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory.
Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress.
On the ‘Widgets’ sub-menu of ‘Appearance’ you will find a new widget type called ‘Sub Category’.
Add one or more of these to your themes widget display areas.
For each widget you add, decide what and how you’d like it to display.
Save your settings.
Contributors & Developers
“Sub Categories Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Sub Categories Widget” has been translated into 1 locale. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Sub Categories Widget” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Changed dropdown url function from get_option to get_home_url for compatibility with WPML
- Fixed issue with a php7.2 depreciation during plugin activation (bug fix)
- Added an option to display the categories in reverse order
- Added the ability to change the selection label text of the dropdown list
- Fixed missing parent category notice on pages when using irst category of the post option
- Added an option to use the first category of the post as the parent
- Improved and updated sanitation and validation
- Updated the dropdown to be in name order (to match the list)
- Added option to show as dropdown list
- Tidy of widget options area
- Added ability to exclude categories (with a comma delimited list)
- Added option to show the entire sub-category tree rather than just one level
- Highlights the current category if on a category archive page (use .current-cat to style)
- First Production Release
- Initial Release