This plugin helps you create a simple travel map to display on your blog. The map is using the Google Geocharts API. Markers are placed on all locations found in your posts (inside a custom field of your choice). Clicking a marker links to the post associated with that specific location. Hovering over a marker opens a popup with the title and a thumbnail (if the post at that location has one).
I built the plugin to create a map of the places I have visited and you can see it in action on my personal site.
- Set a location for each of your posts or pages and display them in a map!
- Display the travel map in any post or page of your choice with a shortcode.
- Clicking a marker will bring you to its associated post.
- Hovering over a marker shows the post title and thumbnail image.
- Works with responsive themes: The map can automatically take the size of the browser/container it is in.
- A settings page to change the map colors and marker size
Limitations: As the name says this is a simple plugin I built mostly to solve a problem for myself. It does exactly what it says above but, at least for now, not much more. There is no support for other map types and locations can only be added based on a custom field in your posts.
Please have a look at this post for more information as well as details on how to install and use my simple travel map plugin. In the post I have also written about some good alternatives to this plugin for slightly different purposes.
- Upload the plugin folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Go to the “Plugins” page in your WordPress admin and activate Simple Travel Map
- Go to the “Simple Travel Map” settings page to configure the map and find the shortcode you can place in your posts.
Contributors & Developers
“Simple Travel Map” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- First public release.